The South transept and possibly part of the south wall of the nave and chancel are believed to date from the 13th century. The church was largely rebuilt, and the tower erected, in 1407-9. The north aisle was built by the Haydon family in the early 16th century. The building was extensively restored by the incumbent, Rev. J. L. Fulford, especially in 1849-52. The roofs were replaced and another general restoration carried out in 1893.
The graffiti includes compass-made circles, ladders, letters (including initials), W’s/M’s (probable Marian marks), crosses, grids, dots/holes and other scored marks.
Many marks are concentrated on a single pier of the north aisle, with occasional other examples throughout the nave and chancel and on the exterior. There is a re-sited mass dial (upside-down) inside the south doorway, and in the tower another apparent former dial (feint radiating lines) is built into the wall of the ringing chamber.
There is graffiti all around the ringing chamber doorway including the name Wylliam ?heydjon, several crosses, a grid/net, and other deliberate marks.