Dartmouth, St Saviour

St Saviour’s church was dedicated in 1372 as a chapel of ease, under the Church of St Clement at Townstal, but parts of the building may be earlier. It was enlarged in the late 14th/early 15th century, and has undergone various building works including major refurbishments in the 1630’s and in the late 19th century.

Most of the graffiti is found on some of the piers, and on the back of the rood screen. Examples include a rare architectural sketch of the top of a window, merchants marks, names and initials, hexafoils (daisy wheels), crosses and Marian type marks.

Dartmouth St Saviour