St Nicholas’ church is of 13th century origin, although the survival of a Saxon or Norman font suggests an earlier building existed. The church was largely rebuilt in 1622, remodelled by 1790, and underwent later alterations and refurbishment. In 1903 following the construction of a new parish church (St Peter’s) in Shaldon, St Nicholas’ was re-designated as a chapel of ease.

Given the past rebuilding and refurbishments  it is not surprising that little graffiti survives. These include though an interesting but feint small cross on the outside north-east corner, which has been underlined by a deep score mark – perhaps to draw attention to it. It seems possible that this is a re-dedication cross, related to one of the rebuilding episodes.

The other graffiti is on the top of the font, where scored marks in the lead include a possible apotropaic or protective mark in the form of a letter W.

Shaldon, St Nicholas (Ringmore)