All Saints was built in the early 15th century, it was consecrated in 1428. Until 1864 it was a chapel of ease to the parish church of adjoining Kingsteignton. The church was restored in the late 19th century, including the rebuilding and extension of the chancel, and lengthening of the south aisle, in 1892.
The surviving graffiti consists mainly of shoe outlines that were inscribed into the lead of the tower roof. Such outlines are fairly common on tower roofs – hand outlines are also sometimes found. The shoe images at All Saints were recognised as of interest and saved when the roof was re-leaded some years ago. They have since been mounted and placed by the tower entrance. The earliest outline with a date is of 1781 and the latest is 1909.
One of the pieces has a plumbers’ soldered date of 1752, which would relate to an episode of works on the lead roof.
Other than the shoe outlines, there is some relatively modern graffiti on the bench bookrests.