St Mary the Virgin, Bickington dates from the 15th century, and has an early 16th century north aisle. In the 19th century the church was thoroughly restored, including some rebuilding. It is constructed of Devonian limestone, with medieval early granite detail and 19th century Ham Hill stone.
As with many churches which are predominantly granite or other hard stones, no graffiti has been found carved into the fabric of the building itself. However, on a modern low oak screen in the chapel there is a partial hexafoil, which was either never finished, or has been eroded. It seems likely that this motif was on the original rood screen, parts of which were apparently saved from demolition in the early 19th century and incorporated into new furnishings, including the low screen. Hexafoils are quite common in churches (and other buildings) and were often used as protection marks.
There is a good deal of fairly modern graffiti on the Victorian pews and book rests, a sample of which was recorded. These include a simple sketch of a single propeller aeroplane, a date of 1953, and cartoon type figures.
On the side of the organ is a roughly scored date of Jan. 23rd 1944, which was a Sunday. It is not known if the letters above the date, ?LP, AT, are initials or have another meaning, but the wartime date is intriguing.
The recent dated lead plaque on the tower roof continues the tradition of lead workers (plumbers) leaving their ‘trade’ mark. In this case the letters have been formed with lead solder.