The medieval church of St Mary was associated with the Pomeroy family, who were granted the manor of ‘Berri’ in the 11th century by William the Conqueror. The range of buildings with Berry names immediately north of the church may have been the site of the original manor house.
In the 15th century the church was rebuilt, possibly by Sir Richard de Pomeroy. The tower still has a 13th/14th century west doorway. The church was restored in the late 17th century and the late 19th century.
The older graffiti is found mainly on the limestone piers and doorways, the tower stairs, and the rood screen. The arrows on the south doorway are unusual, and probably apotropaic. There are some fairly modern names and initials on the benches. In the room above the porch an inscription has been cut into the plaster above the window. The letters above the 1720 date are presumably initials, but it is not clear what the inscription commemorates.